14 May 2006

Alrighty then. Picture this if you will.

The new Tool album is worth buying simply for the packaging artwork, viewable through the built-in stereoscopic lenses ("use of the lenses for any other purpose is not recommended" -- intriguing). And I would like to posit that my favourite part, musically, occurs at about 4:23 into "Wings for Marie (Part 1)"

For anyone confused by the title of the album, consider the title track, "10,000 Days (Wings part 2)", and its preceding track, "Wings for Marie (part 1)". Judith Marie Keenan, singer Maynard's mother, suffered a stroke that left her paralysed until her death 27 years (or approximately 10,000 days) later. Knowing that, consider the words in the title track:

Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough, you're going home.
You're the only one who can hold your head up high,
Shake your fists at the gates saying:
"I have come home now!

"Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father.
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings!"

---------------------------------------------

Herein as well lies an Australian radio interview (mp3) with Danny and Maynard, and the inside of the album (jpg) which can be used as a desktop wallpaper if you're so inclined.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » » »